Egypt's Historical Monuments

  • HOME
  • اللغة العربية
  • English Language
  • …  
    • HOME
    • اللغة العربية
    • English Language
    • Login
CONTACT US

Egypt's Historical Monuments

  • HOME
  • اللغة العربية
  • English Language
  • …  
    • HOME
    • اللغة العربية
    • English Language
    • Login
CONTACT US

Kafr El Sheikh

· The rest of Egypt's cities

First: Fuwa City

It is suggested that the name Fuwa originates from one of Jacob's descendants, mentioned in the Bible.

Known as the City of Mosques, Fuwa ranks third in Egypt for Islamic monuments and fourth globally for Islamic monuments, boasting 365 mosques.

The traces of Pharaonic civilization and subsequent civilizations, including the Greek and Roman, have vanished, replaced by Islamic monuments from which Fuwa derives its current fame. Fuwa holds the third position in Egypt for Islamic monuments, following Cairo and Rosetta. Numerous tourist groups flock to visit the ancient mosques and other historical Islamic landmarks of Fuwa, one of the oldest archaeological cities. It is the third city in Egypt for Islamic monuments after Fatimid Cairo and Rosetta, and fourth globally. The city has approximately 365 mosques, one for each day of the year, encompassing historical sites, domes, and shrines, in addition to a number of Sufi lodges and old houses.


1 - The Remains of the Tarboosh Factory

The oldest tarboosh factory in Egypt is located southwest of the city of Fuwa. It was used to manufacture the official uniforms of the army during the reign of Muhammad Ali Pasha, who, on the 26th of Shawwal, 1240 AH (1821 CE), ordered the head of the Fuwa district, Ahmed Agha, to establish it in the Prince Mahmoud Garden. At the time, it was considered the largest uniform factory in Egypt, and its location facilitated easy transportation for distributing its products. It also provided the people of Fuwa with significant expertise in textile manufacturing. The district head began by employing carpenters and woodworkers and brought in a Moroccan specialist to oversee the construction. Unfortunately, despite the historical importance of this factory, it was demolished, leaving only two gates that are considered among the most prominent landmarks of the ancient city of Fuwa.

The Place

"The Tarboosh Factory" is located directly on the Nile Riverbank, southwest of the city of Fuwa.

The site consists of

Its two remaining gates:

The main gate is built of stone.

Followed by another gate approximately 30 meters away.

The outer gate is divided into three vertical sections, the widest being the central one

The two end sections each consist of a rectangular recess topped with a semicircular arch.

The central section is where the entrance door is located, decorated with wide, pleated cornices that terminate at the bottom in two crenellated semicircular arches.

The inner gate is a rectangular stone block with a crenellated semicircular arch at its front, surrounding a portico.


2- Al-Umari Mosque

It established by the conquerors who paved the way for Islam to the city of Fuwa in 22 AH, it was named "Al-Umari" because it was built during the reign of Caliph Umar ibn al-Khattab, may God be pleased with him, after the conquest of Egypt by the noble companion Amr ibn al-Aas, may God be pleased with him. The historic Al-Umari Mosque in Fuwa is distinguished by its Islamic architectural design, similar to that of the Prophet's Mosque in Medina. This design features an open courtyard in the center of the mosque's roof, with four arcades for ventilation and lighting. The main entrance, located on the northeastern side, is made of two-tone brickwork, one black and the other dark red. This is a type of simple decorative style found in most Islamic monuments in Lower Egypt during this period.


3- Abd al-Rahim al-Qanai Mosque

The mosque of the Sufi saint Sidi Abd al-Rahim al-Qanai, commonly known as the "Qanai" Mosque, is located in Fuwa, Kafr El-Sheikh Governorate. One of the most important and oldest historical mosques in Egypt, it predates the Qena Mosque, which was built later in Qena Governorate. This mosque is considered one of the city's most important religious landmarks and is classified as one of the "hanging mosques."

The mosque is attributed to

The mosque is attributed to Sidi Abd al-Rahim al-Qanai, one of God's righteous saints, who was born in Targhay in the Ceuta region of Morocco in 521 AH (1127 CE). He received his early education at the Great Mosque of Targhay under his father. He traveled to Damascus and spent two years there before returning to his homeland. He began lecturing at the Targhay Mosque, then settled in Qus before traveling to Qena, where he secluded himself for two years in worship and asceticism. He was appointed Sheikh of Qena and became known as al-Qanai. From Qena, al-Qanai traveled to Fuwa via the Nile to visit Sidi Salim Abu al-Najat and learn from him. He stayed in Fuwa and resided in a secluded place on the Nile, which is the site of his current mosque. Afterward, he returned to Qena and died there in 593 AH.

4- Al-Khatayba Quarter

This quarter was used as a hotel in the 19th century AD. It housed merchants who came from various cities and villages across Egypt to Fuwa to sell their goods, as Fuwa was one of the most famous commercial cities in Egypt at that time.

5- Hussein Magour Archaeological Agency

The Hussein Magour Archaeological Agency is located in Kafr El-Sheikh Governorate. This agency operates in the following commercial activities: grocery stores and supermarkets.

6- Al-Fuqa’i Mosque

Located in the center of Fuwa, this mosque dates back to 1198 AH (1783 AD) and is registered as an antiquity by Ministerial Decree No. 120 of 2002. The mosque has three facades: southeast, northeast, and northwest. It has two entrances. One is located on the northeast facade, and the block of this entrance is decorated with carved brickwork. The other entrance is on the southeast facade and leads to the ablution area.


7- Abu Shaara Mosque

Located in Al-Mushmis Square in Fuwa, its construction dates back to 1282 AH (186 AD). It is registered as an antiquity by Ministerial Decree No. 822 of 2001. The mosque has two external entrances: one on the northwest side, crowned with a triple arch and decorated with carved brickwork; and the other on the northeast side, also crowned with a triple arch but undecorated.

A meticulous architectural restoration project was undertaken for the mosque.

The project, costing 3.3 million Egyptian pounds, was completed on June 22, 2015. The plaster layers were removed from all the walls, revealing the carved brickwork of the northwest entrance and the mihrab facade, which had been hidden beneath layers of newly applied plaster. All the walls were also restored by repairing cracks and replacing dilapidated sections.


8- Mosque and Shrine of Sidi Muhammad Zahir al-Din

Known as Abu al-Makarim, his lineage traces back to Sayyid Hassan al-Akbar, brother of Sayyid Ahmad al-Badawi, a descendant of Sayyid al-Husayn ibn Ali, who was born in 930 AH. Abu al-Makarim enrolled at Al-Azhar University and became its Sheikh in 970 AH. He later resigned and went to study with his teacher, Atiya Abu al-Rish, in Damanhur. He then traveled to Fuwa, where he established the Ahmadiyya Sufi order. He was the first to gather people in Fuwa for a dhikr circle. He died in 980 AH and was buried in the mosque that bears his name in Fuwa.


9- Abu al-Makarim Mosque

Dedicated to Muhammad Zahir al-Din Abu al-Makarim, the mosque contains his shrine. A mawlid (celebration of the Prophet's birthday) is held in his honor after the mawlid of Sayyid Ibrahim al-Dasuqi in the neighboring city of Desouk. This mawlid attracts a large number of visitors from Fuwa, as well as tourists from other governorates. The city also receives visits from numerous tourists from Arab and European countries.


Abu al-Makarim was born in 930 AH.

He enrolled at Al-Azhar University and was appointed its Sheikh in 970 AH. His lineage traces back to Sayyid Hassan al-Akbar, brother of Sayyid Ahmad al-Badawi, a descendant of Sayyidna al-Husayn ibn Ali (may God be pleased with him). He was the first to introduce the Ahmadiyya Sufi order to Fuwa. He died in 980 AH and was buried in the mosque that bears his name.


10- The Tekkiye

The Tekkiye was established in the 11th century AH (1000 AH / 1591 CE)

by Sheikh Atiya Rihan. It is located in the Friday Market Square in the city of Fuwa, opposite the famous Al-Omari Mosque, also known as "Al-Burlusi." Spanning 200 square meters, it consists of two floors. The first floor was used for restrooms, and the second floor served as a prayer hall resembling a Quran memorization center. It features wooden windows and an ornate dome. It was a shelter for sheikhs, dervishes, and scholars and hadith narrators, and is considered one of the most important historical sites in Fuwa.

It is over 444 years old

It reflects the city's history and cultural heritage and attracts many tourist delegations. The city of Fuwa grew and developed over long historical periods thanks to its geographical location and commercial importance. It is one of the most important cities that has maintained its historical renown from the beginning of history to modern times, and its walls hold ancient stories and reflect a rich heritage. A culturally rich area worth exploring and paying attention to


11 - Fuwa Carpet and Kilim Market

The city of Fuwa is famous for its carpet and kilim industry, a craft passed down through generations for hundreds of years. These products were exported to European markets. The industry employs 3,000 workers and kilim weavers, and there are associations dedicated to this craft. These associations are distinguished by their production of carpets and tapestries that reflect diverse civilizations and the skills passed down through generations. The government has begun to support this industry to prevent its decline, as many skilled craftsmen had left due to a lack of market access and turned to other professions. However, the governorate, under the guidance of Major General Dr. Alaa Abdel-Moaty, Governor of Kafr El-Sheikh, has revived the industry by training young men and women in this craft and opening new marketing opportunities. Training courses are being organized for young people to learn the trade, both through the Directorate of Youth and Sports and the Fuwa Textile School.

The History of the Craft

The art of carpet weaving began to spread among the people of Fuwa in 1812. The craft's growth began during the reign of Muhammad Ali, who established a fez factory and two spinning mills. Europeans flocked to Fuwa to purchase handwoven carpets, tapestries, and kilims starting in the 19th century. Egyptian mosques were furnished with Fuwa carpets during the time of Muhammad Ali Pasha and the presidencies of the late leaders Gamal Abdel Nasser and Anwar Sadat. The people of Fuwa have preserved this craft for 212 years.

The International Fame of Fuwa Carpets

Fuwa is distinguished by its craft and industrial activity. It is renowned for its carpet, kilim, tapestries, and woven rugs, which are in high demand in America and Western Europe. Fuwa's strategic location on a main road connecting Desouk and Matoubas, situated opposite the city of Mahmoudia (on the other side of the Rosetta branch of the Nile), has led to flourishing trade and strong relationships with neighboring towns and cities. The establishment of the Fuwa Spinning Factory had a great impact on the spread of the felt and kilim industry in Fuwa. We find the people of Fuwa training on looms and making kilims, carpets, and other things. There were halls in Fuwa dedicated to the manufacture of kilims, some of which date back to the 19th century AD, and most of the people of Fuwa dedicate the first floor of their homes to the looms for hand-weaving kilims.


12 - Tell Qubrit Archaeological Site

Tell Qubrit is located in the Fuwa district and covers an area of ​​56 feddans and 10 sahms. It is one of the important mounds in the western Kafr El-Sheikh antiquities inspection area. It is one of the ancient villages mentioned by Emilienus in his Geography, where he refers to it as "Koprit," its Egyptian name, and also as "Kopritidos." It is also mentioned in the book "Tuhfat al-Irshad" as "Kibrit." It is likely that this mound was a large residential city from Pharaonic times until the Greco-Roman period.

Second: Other Antiquities in Kafr El-Sheikh

Buto (Tell El-Fara'in), northeast of Desouk

Kafr El-Sheikh Governorate is distinguished by the city of Buto, also known as Per Wadjet, named after the goddess Wadjet. It is also called Tell El-Fara'in by some. It is located 16 kilometers from Desouk, Kafr El-Sheikh Governorate, and 24 kilometers from the governorate's capital. It belongs to the village of Ibtu, which is part of the Al-Agouzein Local Unit.

Historically,

Buto is one of the earliest cities built in ancient Egypt and the world

Buto was the political capital of Egypt during the Predynastic Period (3250 BC). It covers an area of ​​176 acres and consists of a group of archaeological mounds. It was a symbol of the north and a sacred city, considered the sole source of legitimacy for the Egyptian kings. They had to travel to Buto to offer sacrifices to the goddess Wadjet, the patron deity of Tell El-Fara'in and a symbol of power and authority. It was a pilgrimage city, attracting visitors from far and wide. Abydos, where Horus was born and crowned.


Buto was also the capital of Lower Egypt

Before the unification era, historical sources in ancient Egypt identified it as the birthplace of the child Horus, whom his mother Isis placed on the nearby island of Akhbet (modern-day Shaba, Desouk district) in the Delta marshes. He was placed there under the care and protection of the goddess Wadjet, the patron deity of Buto and the giver of power, and also to keep him safe from the tyranny of his uncle Set.

Throughout history, Buto was subjected to destruction and ruin by the Hyksos and again during the New Kingdom under Ramses III during his war against the Sea Peoples.

The site is surrounded by a mud-brick wall dating back to the Predynastic Period, but additions were made to it in later eras.

The Contents of the Site

It contains two wells that are still filled with water and were used for purification rituals for those offering sacrifices at the temple.

A number of statues, most notably a colossal statue of King Ramses II dating back to the New Kingdom, 19th Dynasty.

The only statue of the god Horus, reminiscent of the myth of Isis and Osiris.

Two basalt sphinx statues dating back to the 29th Dynasty.

A statue of the god Horus the Falcon, one of the most magnificent statues discovered in Egypt to date

A collection of rare stelae, the most important of which is one depicting King Thutmose III offering sacrifices to the goddess Wadjet, dating back to the 18th Dynasty. This stelae confirms that Tell el-Fara'in is the ancient site of Utu.

The Great Necropolis of Utu, where thousands of barrel-shaped and anthropoid coffins were found. These are extremely rare forms, inscribed with texts describing the burial rituals of the ancient Egyptians, in addition to a collection of amulets and jewelry.

A double pink granite statue of King Ramses II. The goddess Sekhmet

A black granite stela dating back to the reign of King Thutmose III of the 18th Dynasty

A gift stela dating back to the reign of King Thutmose III. At the top of the stela is a scene depicting King Thutmose III kneeling, pouring sacred water, and offering sacrifice

A pink granite stela dating back to the reign of King Shoshenq I of the 18th Dynasty

A statue of a priest seated, holding a Delta plant (lettuce) in his left hand, a symbol of fertility. In front of the priest's legs is the sacred triad: Osiris in the center as a small statue standing on a pedestal above the priest's feet, with Horus to his right and Isis to his left.

A statue of King Neferetis I of the 29th Dynasty

There were doubts that Tell el-Fara'in was the ancient Utu.

Until the English archaeologist Petrie began a comprehensive survey of the area from 1898 to 1910 to prove that Utu was the present-day Tell el-Fara'in.

The English archaeological expedition discovered two water wells. At the Temple

Then, in 1982, an archaeological mission from the Egyptian Antiquities Authority, in collaboration with a mission from the Department of Archaeology and Ancient History at the Faculty of Arts, Tanta University, worked in the temple area. They succeeded in discovering numerous artifacts and hieroglyphic inscriptions that prove Tell el-Fara'in was the political capital of Egypt during the Predynastic Period.

As for the Temple Area

This area extends over nine thousand square meters, and only the temple of the goddess Wadjet has been discovered so far. However, archaeological inscriptions confirm the existence of temples dedicated to the goddess Isis, the god Horus, and other deities.

Sakha, the Pharaonic City / or the Foot of Christ

Located in Kafr El-Sheikh Governorate, just 2 kilometers south of the governorate's capital, Sakha was once the capital of the sixth nome (province) of Lower Egypt and the seat of the Fourteenth Dynasty of ancient Egypt. In Pharaonic times, it was known as "Khaset," and in Roman times as "Axus." It also holds significant Christian historical importance, as it served as a refuge for the Holy Family during their flight to Egypt. The city is even called "The Foot of Christ" because a stone there bears the imprint of Jesus's feet. Sakha also houses the Church of the Virgin Mary, considered the birthplace of the Fourteenth Dynasty, further enhancing its importance to Christians in Egypt.

In recent years, the historic city of Sakha has undergone extensive development

This development encompasses the Holy Family Trail and the Church of the Virgin Mary, which some historical research suggests was once a pilgrimage site for Christians. A museum has also been established, housing over 1200 important historical artifacts from the governorate.

Sakha Museum

The museum represents the historical significance of Kafr El-Sheikh Governorate and its important role during the Hyksos occupation of Egypt, specifically during the reign of the 14th Dynasty, of which Sakha was the capital.

The Church of the Virgin Mary in Sakha

A large church, considered one of the oldest in Egypt, located in a quiet area of ​​Sakha district in Kafr El-Sheikh Governorate. Before reaching it, one must pass through several streets, most notably the street leading to the Governorate headquarters and Kafr El-Sheikh University. Upon arriving in Sakha, one walks along a long, wide street until reaching the Church of the Virgin Mary, where the Holy Family stayed for about seven days, and where Jesus imprinted his foot. This imprint is still visible on a stone within the church's collection. The Church of the Virgin Mary in Sakha dates back to the 4th century AD and was restored in the 11th century by order of the Fatimid Caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah. In the 16th century, the church was destroyed and remained in ruins until Muhammad Ali Pasha ordered its reconstruction in 1846 AD, preserving its historical character and the remaining archaeological parts. In 1968, the nave of the church was rebuilt, and during the construction process, the remains of several saints were discovered, including Saint Patriarch Anba Sawirus of Antioch and Saint Anba Zacharias, Bishop of Sakha in the 7th century AD, alongside his remains.

Kom Matoubes (Tell El-Ahmar)

The Ministry of Antiquities announced that the joint archaeological mission between Durham University (UK) and Mansoura University

successfully completed the archaeological survey of the Tell Matoubes site in Kom El-Ahmar, Kafr El-Sheikh. The results suggest the presence of several kilns used in glassmaking during the Late Roman period. It was reported that the team successfully identified and determined

The contents of the site

A number of buildings with limestone-paved floors and mortar-covered walls.

A number of residential units and other areas designated for storage.


The team also identified a group of massive ancient walls

Dr. [Name] said... Mahmoud Afifi, head of the Egyptian Antiquities Sector, stated that the discovery of these walls at this specific location clarifies the role of several pits located east of the mound, which may represent part of a vaulted bathhouse.

Benny Wilson, head of the mission, said:

Specialized studies were conducted on the pottery and glass vessels discovered at the site, as well as other corroded coins. These studies indicated that the site dates back to the Roman era but was abandoned after the Islamic conquest.


He added that the team conducted archaeological surveys using gradiometers

These surveys covered approximately ten thousand square meters, equivalent to the area of ​​the mound and selected areas on its western and southeastern sides. Electrical resistivity surveys covered roughly the same area, allowing the team to integrate data and create detailed subsurface images that contribute to revealing the mound's contents. He noted that a classification study was also conducted on the glass vessels, enabling comparisons with other sites, such as those in the eastern Mediterranean.

Shabas El Shohada

Shabas El Shohada is one of the main villages belonging to the Desouk district in Kafr El Sheikh Governorate.

The Location

It enjoys a geographically distinguished location, situated southeast of the Desouk district. It is bordered to the north by Sanhour al-Madina in the Desouk district, to the east by al-Bakatush in the Qallin district, to the west by Kafr Magar in the Desouk district, and to the south by Mahallat Diay in the Desouk district.

The Origin of its Name

According to ancient accounts, the name Shabas al-Shuhada (Shabbas of the Martyrs) originates from its ancient origins. Its original name was Kabasa, the Roman name was Gabasius, and the Assyrian name was Shabash. After the Islamic conquest of Egypt, it became Shabas. Later, the name Sanhour was added, resulting in Shabas Sanhour, due to its proximity to the village of Sanhour al-Madina. The name Shabas continued to be altered, with Yaqut al-Hamawi mentioning it as Shabas Sanqar, and Ibn Mamati as Shabas al-Madina. The name settled on Shabas al-Shuhada (Martyrs' Shabas) after the French occupation of Egypt (1798-1801) due to the large number of martyrs from the village who fell in battle against the French army led by Napoleon Bonaparte, paving the way for the occupation of Desouk.

During the reign of Muhammad Ali Pasha, the governor of Egypt,

it officially adopted this name in 1228 AH/1813. Ali Mubarak mentioned it in his book, "Al-Khitat al-Tawfiqiyya" (The Tawfiqiyya Plans), stating that it was a village in the Gharbia Governorate, in the Samannud district. He noted that most of its buildings were made of red brick, some with two stories, and that it had two old mosques, one with a minaret, as well as four prayer corners and a chicken farm belonging to the estate of Sayyida Hoshiyar, the mother of Khedive Ismail.

Orabi Fort

In Baltim, a popular family resort, lies Orabi Fort, just meters from the Burullus Lighthouse. It was built by Saladin to repel Crusader attacks from Europe and was restored by Khedive Ismail in 1882. Recently, three weapons depots were discovered there, along with a large quantity of bombs and shells, and pottery dating back 1100 years. Several old cannons, used by the hero Ahmed Orabi to repel British attacks on the area, are still present in the fort. The area is still known as Orabi Fort.

The Burullus Lighthouse

Constructed in 1869, the Burullus Lighthouse is 120 years old. It stands 55 meters tall and is supported by three triangular lead bases weighing 40 tons. A series of iron springs allows it to tilt by 12 centimeters in strong winds. The lighthouse operates on kerosene and its signal ranges up to 118 nautical miles. The Encyclopedia Britannica dedicated four full pages to this detail due to its accuracy. Finally, the Burullus Lighthouse and its 18 associated rooms were incorporated into the Antiquities Authority. The lighthouse will be preserved and restored, and a 50-meter enclosure will be established around it, along with a museum garden, an Islamic-style fountain, and the paving of the road leading to it. This road is known locally as Farid al-Atrash Road because it was the location where the songs from the film "Lahn al-Kholoud" (The Melody of Immortality) were filmed.


The Village of Munyat al-Murshid

This is an ancient village, mentioned as "Munyat Bani Murshid" in the Nastrawiya records among the villages of the Salah al-Din survey, which were compiled by Ibn Mamati in his book "Qawanin al-Dawawin" (Laws of the Departments). It is also mentioned as "Munyat Bani Murshid" in the records of Fuwa and al-Muzahimtain among the villages of the Nasiri survey, which were compiled by Ibn al-Ji'an in his book "Al-Tuhfa al-Saniyya bi Asma' al-Bilad al-Misriyya" (The Precious Gift of the Names of Egyptian Lands). During the Ottoman era, it was mentioned as “Minya Bani Murshid” in the Ottoman land survey conducted by the Ottoman governor Suleiman Pasha al-Khadim during the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, within the villages of the Gharbia province. In the year 1228 AH/1813 AD, when the villages of Egypt were counted after the survey conducted by Muhammad Ali Pasha, it was mentioned as “Minya al-Murshid” within the villages of the Gharbia Directorate.

Subscribe
Previous
The Medical Tourism Regions
Next
The rest of Egypt's cities
 Return to site
strikingly iconPowered by Strikingly
Profile picture
Cancel
Cookie Use
We use cookies to improve browsing experience, security, and data collection. By accepting, you agree to the use of cookies for advertising and analytics. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn More
Accept all
Settings
Decline All
Cookie Settings
These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. These cookies can’t be switched off.
These cookies help us better understand how visitors interact with our website and help us discover errors.
These cookies allow the website to remember choices you've made to provide enhanced functionality and personalization.
Save